Abby's Art Club

A DIY blog about starting an art club for kids and finding the inspiration to keep it going.

Wednesday, November 22, 2006

crafty cozies


The art club is part of a holiday craft fair on December 9th. I started the students working on some cozy crafty items for the sale. We are making tea cozies and door snakes out of my old wool sweater collection. I felted the sweaters in the washing machine and they feel nice and fuzzy. The kids want to put pom-poms on the top of the tea cozy, so next week we will have a pom-pom making session, stuff the snakes with a bit of sand, and give them some button eyes. I will post the finished photos. They are all turning out super cute.

The hard part of having students make things to sell is that they get attached to the things they make and don't want to sell them. I guess I'm not really that different. It's weird to hear them talk about how their parents had better buy the things they are making or else.

Thanks, parents!

We are trying to raise funds for future art materials. I actually already spent a bit too much on wool batting recently (for teaching felting this winter), so I hope the cozies are a great success.

Save all wool sweaters. Wool is easy for kids to sew with. Wash the sweaters in warm water and shrink in the dryer. A stash of felted wool sweaters is the basis for any good cozy. I would recommend a wool cozy for your cell phone, nintendo, and digital camera, but not for your toaster.



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home