Abby's Art Club

A DIY blog about starting an art club for kids and finding the inspiration to keep it going.

Monday, July 10, 2006

why



I hope that parents will look at this blog and feel inspired to start their own art clubs. I am a visual artist and so I started this project with a certain amount of confidence, but I think that anyone with some time to dedicate and an interest in helping their kids with art can give it a try. Of course, specific projects will vary according to the leader's interests and abilities, but I believe lesson content is less important than the simple act of forming a group dedicated to making art. The group must be made up of kids who enjoy making art, and the leader needs to provide project ideas, time, materials and space for the creative process to unfold. It's really pretty easy.

I know a good number of soccer league parent coaches, for example, who never played soccer themselves but feel obligated to step up and coach a team. I don't see this type of commitment being given to the arts. Our public school art programs are unable to provide the time and materials for excellent art instruction. Kids who are specifically motivated by visual ideas will not have their needs met during the school day alone. An art club not only gives these kids more access to time and materials, but the group can reinforce their talents and self identity as artists. Art club is about creating a sense of community for your kids and their peers.

Starting an art club is simple -- all you have to do is decide how often to meet and invite a certain number of kids to join. And the benefits are immediate and profound. The most obvious one for me was being able to make a real, lasting commitment to my son Henry. Before starting the art club I often fell short of my goals for making art with Henry. He was consistently making things, but something always seemed to get in the way of my ability to sit down and be a part of his process. Now that I have set aside one afternoon a week, and I have asked other kids to join in, I never miss out on the experience. I also get the joys and benefits of being an art coach. I get to share the stories, projects, and triumphs of the club each and every week. The students bring me constant inspiration and hope for a more inspired and creative future.

I would love to hear from other parents who are thinking about starting an art club. I want to swap project ideas and arrange future collaborative projects. I am willing to answer questions and give support to anyone who wants to start a group. I hope to schedule a talk in the future for interested parents, so please send your email information if you would like the details. Just leave a comment.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I would love to start something like this for my son, who loves to do 'projects'. Unfortunatly, we are living in an appartment right now. Do you think it would be just as fun with a very small group, say three or four kids?

1:05 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello,

I am an art education major at the UofA and I teach art at a local Christian school. I am thinking about starting an art club next year and am just beginning to think of the do's and don't's of it.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Mimi Daniel
mimid12300@yahoo.com

11:42 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

This is such a wonderful thing you are doing!!! I wish I could join... I'm in my 30s, but a kid at heart. :)

7:15 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Hi

I'm also teaching art k-8 at a christian school and i would like to start up the art club during lunch time. do you have any suggestions to how i can promote the art club? I need to send out an email or a letter to parents describing the event etc.. .
any advice would be much appreciated.
thank you

regina

regpark@gmail.com

4:20 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi,

I am a graphic designer and working mom to a 17 month old. My son Julian loves to do art in daycare. Given my creative background, I'd love to start an art club apporpriate for children his age - simple activities. What's the best way to get started and best approach in organizing your time as a busy working mom?

Nelen

6:41 AM  
Anonymous Sophie Bartesch said...

Hi Abby, I am a 22 year old graduate and am looking to start an art club for young people and adults. There is nothing in my area and I think it would really help alot of kids and would be great for adults with a more advanced class. I was just wanting to ask if you have found any legal requirements to setting up your club? I found your blog so inspiring and it looks like so much fun!! :D
Please email me if you think you could help I would veerryyy much appreciate it, Thank you, Sophie

2:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home