Abby's Art Club

A DIY blog about starting an art club for kids and finding the inspiration to keep it going.

Tuesday, May 01, 2007

crochet




We started our crochet lessons yesterday. Usually I try and stay one step ahead of the kids, but I don't know how to crochet and so I needed to ask in some guest teachers. Thank you Elizabeth and Dea! I had the opportunity of being one of the art club students, and I think the kids got a kick out of my questions and frustrations. I know how to knit and tat, but somehow crochet makes me feel clumsy and strange. I am always asking the art clubers to try new things, so it only seems fair that every once and a while they get to see me with ten thumbs.

I can't say much about how to teach crochet. We were just working on a ten by ten double crochet square to begin. I was interested in how some students picked it up really quickly and others needed to watch and start over again and again. Also, some kids needed certain language to really get it. For example, once one student heard about "keeping her holding hand in a triangle" she was quite dangerous and adept, whereas before she kept dropping her tension. Another student had to "point their index finger" on their holding hand. That's why it was great to have a couple of teachers because each one had a slightly different way of talking about what they were doing.

We were all very patient. The look of concentration on everyone's face is the true story of the day. Learning a new finger skill takes all your brain power and the art club certainly gave the lesson their best attention for over two hours. It was great to observe the "aha" moment when someone finally got the rhythm and started cruising. Henry was certain he wouldn't like crochet, but then he figured it out and seemed very pleased with himself. He is really satisfied when he problem solves things and crochet is no different than a hard math problem. Henry tied his crochet square around his belt loop and wore it for the rest of the afternoon.

Next week we will take on the granny square.



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home