Abby's Art Club

A DIY blog about starting an art club for kids and finding the inspiration to keep it going.

Tuesday, March 20, 2007

chalk drawings

We started class by looking at Jessica's photographs from India. I showed them some mandala designs and talked about balance and proportion. I had students work out some designs on graph paper that would capture the coming of spring in mandala form.




I had the kids pair up and work together on their outside chalk drawings. We started by using rulers to measure dots on the sidewalk and tried to replicate our original designs the best we could. Sidewalk bumps, mud, group dynamics, and the pure distraction of being outside made this a bit less than the meditative exercise I was imagining, but nonetheless, the kids came up with some good works. Now we need a bit more spring. The kids were barefoot, but I was still freezing.




0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home