Abby's Art Club

A DIY blog about starting an art club for kids and finding the inspiration to keep it going.

Tuesday, January 23, 2007

drawing game


Actually playing the drawing game can be frustrating. The easiest and most creative part of the game is drawing characters and creating a team story. It is much more difficult to role play the game and keep your cool. One of the teams pictured played for over two hours and ended the art club session without determining a winner. They were obviously enjoying themselves and their in depth discussions of point totals and plundering success never got out of hand. They didn't seem to mind much when they had to finish up early and it was inspiring to watch them. Their role playing was back and forth, creative, and generally fun. The other group just couldn't seem to agree on a general tone of fun and ended the day with one person quiting the game. This felt like a real drag to me because on the last day of the drawing game I was hoping everyone could have a more positive experience. I also had one parent call me before art club and say that her child didn't want to play at all. So two kids were not able to participate in a game on the last day. Overall, this was not the ending I was hoping for.

What do I think? Basically, I think that some kids don't feel comfortable role playing and gaming. It's a totally new skill to some of them, and therefore I think there is a risk of kids getting their feelings hurt with this project and of creating some insecurities. Would I do it again? Yes. The stories and details of the drawing game were amazing. I think it's important to match up kids who are inexperienced with gaming and let them develop their skills with other students who are at their level. I suppose if it seems like some of the students are absolutely opposed to the competitive aspects of the game they could get together and just role play with their characters. I have to think about this issue a bit more, but for now we are moving on.

Next week we start a section on needle felting. I will have to worry less about hurt feelings and more about safe fingers.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home