Abby's Art Club

A DIY blog about starting an art club for kids and finding the inspiration to keep it going.

Thursday, September 07, 2006

epic battle game


My sons Henry and Jimmy are really interested in epic battle games. They play card games like Magic the Gathering, board games like Settlers of Catan, and computer games like Age of Mythology. I think many kids are so inclined. I must admit that I have not been super supportive of these inclinations in the past, but recently I have been totally won over and inspired. Let me explain.

Last year Henry began drawing battle guys and giving them powers (number ratings). The drawings progressed and became more detailed. He introduced Jimmy to the activity. They told stories. They learned to role play entire battles. They drew fences and castles and balistas and guys on horseback with arrows. Later they drew food sources, charms, and monsters. The whole story progression is so detailed and complex that it is hard to absorb it all as an adult. I think the experience of trying to understand children's stories is often humbling and demands a different sort of attention and patience. My friend Heidi took the time to really sit down and engage with my boys and soon after she began to draw her own army forces. Last week the three sat down to demonstrate a full epic battle using their drawings and stories. The game took two days and several hours to complete and contained some of the best drawings my sons (and my friend Heidi) have ever made.

I loved the whole thing and I want to introduce the idea of game making to the art club this year. I think we will have to be careful with our glorification of carnage and battle, and also watch our silliness while role playing, but overall I have never seen this type of drawing commitment before with my kids. Henry and Jimmy have been making drawings for over a year now and they have won over an adult. Heidi now stays up late nights drawing her army to show Henry in the morning. Both my husband and myself want to find a late night or two so we can start creating our troops soon. I think there is an epic battle in our future.



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home