Abby's Art Club

A DIY blog about starting an art club for kids and finding the inspiration to keep it going.

Thursday, July 27, 2006

field trip


On a recent field trip to Chicago I came across a flyer that interested me and gave me pause about my own art teaching projects. The flyer was an advertisement for Art Party Play Dates, a business venture that offers parents an opportunity to enroll their kids in art play dates (at a cost of $60 for three hours). I am not sure if this concept is financially successful, or viable in a smaller market like Madison, but the whole thing had a very slick look and pleasant appeal. Would I like to run art party play dates and make some money I had to ask myself?

I have to say, on this very same field trip to Chicago I found myself lusting after a pair of shoes that cost a ton of money. I didn't get the shoes. After the field trip I actually felt like I couldn't really afford to visit Chicago that often because the whole thing was so expensive. My own relationship to money was right at the forefront of my mind. And I realize how lucky I am in general because I don't have to make money to support myself and my family through my art. I am a mom who can afford to stay at home with my kids, and that affords me the ability to volunteer my time as an art teacher. Anyway, I guess right now I am interested in thinking about teaching art as a supplemental income maker, not as a replacement for art club, but as an alternative model of art education outside the classroom. Having choices about how and when to purchase extra curricular opportunities for your kids feels good to me as a parent. I frequently enroll my kids in soccer camps for example, and I pay a piano teacher to give my children lessons. And it seems that some parents are willing (and able) to pay for art opportunities for their young ones, so why not me?

I am on the fence about offering art classes on a pay-per-class basis, not as a replacement for the art club, but as a way of testing the Madison market and supplementing my own family income. I have no doubt I would enjoy giving it a try (and my own discretionary account is at an all time low), but I just have to develop a business plan.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home